Proverbs 15:16

Better a little with the fear of the Lord than great wealth with turmoil.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Psychology of Freebies and a Request for Advice

So I was thinking about Cutie Husband and myself, and how we've been trying to tighten our belts some to save up for a house.  We are living in an apartment, and are rapidly outgrowing the closet space!  I was thinking about all the extras that we try to go without, which we would ordinally love to splurge on.  Then something occurred to me. 


I've had a lot more self control with my own splurging since I've started signing up for freebies in the mail!


I am far less likely to spend money on unnecessary extras in the store when I know that I already have things on their way.  Even if it is just a sample of toothpaste!


While I know that things won't make me happy, and that God is the ultimate and only One I need, it is still a little treat to get something new here and there that we've never tried before.  So I think that knowing that I will get to try something new whenever it arrives in the mail helps me feel like I don't want to spend that extra money on the what's-it in Target that week.


Saving up for a house is so difficult, and we're blessed to have extra money coming from other venues to help us out a little bit.  We acknowledge that now might not be the right time to get a house, and we're trusting God to give us the right amount at the right time.  But we are trying to be faithful with what He has given us.


We especially want to be wise when we finally do start the searching and purchasing process, which is where the request for advice comes in.  Neither Cutie Husband nor I have ever owned our own home.  This will be our first time buying a house.  That is why we are calling on our readers (few or plentiful as they be!) to help us out!




Never having owned our home, we don't really know what things to look for.  We have a general idea of what we want, but we have no clue what works and what doesn't come time for our home to function.


When you bought your first house, was there anything you wish someone had told you?
What advice would you give to us in our search?
Are there certain features in a home that just plainly do not work, or certain things that we'd be regretful not to have in a home?
Are there any particular things we should be sure to check to make sure they work before we purchase?


We can't be too picky as this is just our starter home, but we definitely don't want to end up in a money pit or a house without working appliances or something!
We appreciate any and all advice we can get, and will keep you updated as our search begins, progresses, and comes to a close!

5 comments:

Darla said...

Um, yes, I have some advice. Just move back home with Mom and Dad, everything works at their house. :)

Kaley Ehret said...

We are in a very similar situation. We have rented for almost 8 years--since we were married. We are hoping to buy in the upcoming year. It's scary, but exciting all at the same time!

Cyndi said...

Wow!! That is scary!! I'm scared and I've only been renting for a couple of years.. I can't imagine having to make such a big change after that long being comfortable renting!! :]
Yeah, we're rapidly outgrowing this 700 sq. ft. apartment, so we'd love to be able to get into a house!
Good luck on your buying, and keep me posted!!
I'll send you any tips I glean, and I'd love if you'd do the same!!

Unknown said...

Looking back - (3rd time homeowner)....

When you bought your first house, was there anything you wish someone had told you?
YES! I wish someone had told me to really check the warranty info if the house comes with a warranty, there are exclusions you would not think about. Usually your realtor will tell you about this but it depends on the realtor - we had a good one and she forgot! Specifically, we had a fridge with the water thing that comes out of the front of it, and it broke while we were at work - water ALL over the place. Ruined walls, floors, carpets. Homeowners warranty did not cover it because apparently the 'water line inside the fridge is the only component of the fridge not covered'.


What advice would you give to us in our search?

Find a realtor you like, and be prepared to look at a lot of houses to find what you want. when you walk in the right one, you will know.

Are there certain features in a home that just plainly do not work, or certain things that we'd be regretful not to have in a home?

Depending on where you are, we really like having the garage ATTACHED here because it makes it much easier going in and out with groceries, two big dogs, etc.

Also - fireplaces really help cut the electric / gas bill!

We have huge jacuzzi tub in our master that I have used exactly twice since we bought the house, its a pain in the ass -- takes too long to fill, too long to clean. I could do without that.


Are there any particular things we should be sure to check to make sure they work before we purchase?

Yep! Your inspection should cover the big things, but ours overlooked 2 things that drive me nuts: first, in our kitchen whoever hookd up the water did it in reverse - so its left for cold, right for hot. It took me a few bit of whining about not having hot water to figure that one out!

Also - our alarm system was not working and we had to get it fixed. it would not have been a big deal but in the newer houses the smoke detectors are hard wired into your alarm system and so we would have 3 am smoke detector problems and drama! One screaming kid, two nervous dogs, and two very tired adults. That alone cost about 300 to fix.

Enjoy your journey and new home!!

Cyndi said...

Lisa,
THANK YOU!!! Those are such helpful tips, and things I didn't even think of to check!! My husband's mother (our realtor!!) will probably think I'm a nut when I turn on all the faucets in the houses we're seriously considering!! :]
I just don't want to end up in a money pit.
And the alarm too, I just plainly didn't think of it.
I'll definitely file those things in my house-hunting repetoir! With any luck, tonight will be the first night we go looking!!! (Hopeuflly!)
I cannot wait, and I'm SO excited to see what God brings us to, definitely check back, and I'll be updating. :]
Cyndi